Title: Engineer, Jibu
Location: East Africa
Reports to: Country Managing Director and/or CEO, Jibu
Start date: April 2017
About Jibu L3C: Ninety percent of the population in sub-Saharan Africa do not have access to affordable, clean drinking water and one half of all safe water projects fail within two years mostly due to lack of local ownership. Jibu is addressing this problem by developing a network of locally-owned “business-in-a-box” drinking water franchises strategically located in retail stores that profitably filter, bottle and sell water at ultra-low prices.
The Successful Candidate: Jibu is looking for a talented, experienced, adventurous engineer ready to commit a minimum of two years to contributing to a rapidly growing company making a meaningful social difference.
He or she will be:
- A leader who has demonstrated success managing a diverse group of people and challenges.
- A self-starter able to think critically and problem solve on the fly.
- Able to design and implement quality control processes and training.
- An excellent communicator able to effectively train, inspire, grow and manage a team of local technicians and local production managers to properly maintain equipment.
- Highly knowledgeable about water treatment systems, basic chemistry, and solar equipment.
- Proactive and able to anticipate issues, while able to perform routine maintenance and emergency repair to water treatment equipment – including but not limited to; general plumbing, centrifugal pumps, peristaltic dosing pumps, ultrafiltration membranes, and process control equipment.
- A contributor to the senior leadership team in strategic planning, team development, management of regulatory requirements, etc.
The Position: The position will be based in East Africa and will work directly with the operations staff as a member of the in-country corporate support team at the direction of the Country Managing Director. Jibu currently operates in urban environments that meet basic infrastructure needs such as housing, transportation, water, electricity, etc. Travel throughout East Africa and potentially other African nations will be required for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide on-going training and direction to technicians and franchisees and contribute to the Jibu management support team (20%)
- Install, maintain and trouble-shoot water treatment systems (including solar-powered systems) and the upfit of the facilities that house them (20%)
- Establish operational and quality control processes and train local staff on specifics; monitor accordingly (40%)
- Ensure compliance with local regulating standards (10%)
- Other technical tasks (10%)
- S. Degree in Engineering or equivalent program, with at least two years of engineering work experience. Preference given to Civil, Environmental, and Mechanical engineering.
- Cultural knowledge and experience working in an emerging market context preferable.
- A team player with a sense of adventure wanting to make a difference.
- Near perfect English language skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Send resumes and statements of interest and experience to email@example.com